Thursday 3 May 2012

In the beginning...


I have been a website developer for more than ten years now, working for various companies on corporate, subscription based websites. The sorts of sites that I have worked on are those sites that are never supposed to be commercial to the outside world, the sorts of websites that are used within companies, but those companies customers are never aware that they exist, or are never really thought about. Some of the companies I have worked for were using Internet technologies to do the sorts of things that only a few years before would have been taken care of by windows based systems. The technologies that we we were using and creating put us at the forefront of technology.

It was all very interesting, it really was, and I still enjoy doing it, and I'm sure that if I stay doing it, I will still enjoy the challenges that come with these sorts of online applications for years to come. But I have decided to have a little fun for myself.

I have wanted to build my own website for a long time now, but have never really got around to it. I have had plenty of ideas for different ideas, but somehow life always got in the way and the idea would eventually dwindle to nothing or be replaced by a better idea. I wish I could say that it was all about time and nothing to do with motivation, but I can't. I simply can't. The motivation to get a project off the ground and put the hard work in has always been a bit of a problem. But as I get older, the desire to start my own website has become much more prominent. I'm hoping that this desire can be the driving force behind this project.

The idea is a relatively simple one. The site needs to be fun. It needs to be attractive to it's target audience. Ideally, I would like the site to make a little money as well. It doesn't have to be a lot of money. To be honest, at this stage I am really hoping for nothing more than the site to pay for its own hosting and domain registration. The project is supposed to be a little fun, not something that I am going to struggle to have enough time to do outside of the day job.

I will reveal more about what the site actually is as I go through the development, but at the moment, I can't reveal too much. All I can say is that some of the ideas are there, and some ideas are still being formed.

So, without further ado, let's get to it!

No comments:

Post a Comment